LAGOS, Nigeria — Nigeria’s army gunned down 348 Shiite Muslims in an attack last year in which one soldier was killed, according to a commission of inquiry report published Monday that calls for all involved in the killings to be prosecuted.
Members of the Iranian-inspired Islamic Movement in Nigeria are responsible for provoking the attack that began with a blockade that halted the convoy of Nigeria’s army chief, the report found. It said Shiite leader Ibraheem Zakzaky should be held responsible for refusing to call his members to order.
The report said it was unable to say with certainty how many people died in the three-day military raid in December 2015 in Zaria city on the headquarters, home and a school of Zakzaky’s movement .
It said 347 bodies were secretly buried in a mass grave, and one wounded person died in custody.
Shiite spokesman Ibrahim Musa has told The Associated Press that more than 800 people are missing, including scores in detention. Read full in NYTimes